The last list for the South American Qualifiers had included seven First Division footballers, in addition to the
Argentina National Team: Why Scaloni decided not to add young people from local football
The last list for the South American Qualifiers had included seven First Division footballers, in addition to the regulars of Franco Armani and Julián Álvarez.
Although no one wanted to miss out on qualifying for the Qatar 2022 World Cup already assured, the infections by Covid-19, such as that of Lionel Messi, and the injuries in Europe paved the way for Lionel Scaloni to summon soccer players from the local environment thinking about the future , just as it happened in the last list against Uruguay and Brazil.
However, this idea did not prosper in the face of the resumption of the South American Qualifiers and only two River players received the call from the DT to face Chile and Colombia with the shirt of the Argentine National Team. They are Franco Armani and Julián Álvarez, two regulars who have just completed the first part of the preseason in San Martín de los Andes.
Scaloni’s reasons for not having protagonists of Argentine soccer were two: the cases of Covid-19 that exist in all the First Division campuses and that the teams are in full preparation and without filming, as to avoid possible injuries before the start of the 2022 Professional League Cup.
It should be remembered that Enzo Fernández (River), Santiago Simón (River), Exequiel Zeballos (Boca), Cristian Medina (Boca), Thiago Almada (Vélez), Gastón Ávila (Rosario Central, now back in Boca) and Federico Gómes Gerth (Tiger), as well as Matías Soulé (Juventus).
The summoned of the Argentine National Team vs. Chile and Colombia
- Franco Armani (River)
- Esteban Andrada (Monterrey)
- Emiliano Martinez (Aston Villa)
- Juan Musso (Atalanta)
- Nahuel Molina (Udinese)
- Gonzalo Montiel (Seville)
- Lucas Martinez Quarta (Fiorentina)
- German Pezzella (Betis)
- Nicolas Otamendi (Benfica)
- Lisandro Martinez (Ajax)
- Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax)
- Marcos Acuna (Seville)
- Nicolas Gonzalez (Fiorentina)
- Lucas Ocampos (Seville)
- Leandro Paredes (PSG)
- Guido Rodriguez (Betis)
- Rodrigo DePaul (Atletico Madrid)
- Giovanni Lo Celso (Tottenham)
- Alejandro Gomez (Seville)
- Alexis MacAllister (Brighton)
- Emiliano Buendia (Aston Villa)
- Angel Di Maria (PSG)
- Angel Correa (Atletico Madrid)
- Julian Alvarez (River)
- Lautaro Martinez (Inter)
- Joaquin Correa (Inter)
Why Lionel Messi was not summoned to the Argentine National Team
The list of summoned of the Argentine Selection for the matches of the South American Qualifiers against Chile and Colombia came out today after the last details resolved by Scaloni, who effectively left out Lionel Messi, who has not played for PSG for almost a month between the trip to Argentina to spend the holidays, the isolation due to coronavirus and the post-Covid recovery, which took the Flea a few days longer than expected. The captain will be absent for the first time in the Playoffs.
The absentees in the list of the Argentine National Team
The matches of the Argentine National Team in the final of the South American Qualifiers
- Date 15: Chile, as a visitor in Calama, on Thursday, January 27 at 9:15 p.m.
- Date 16: Colombia, as a local in Córdoba, on Tuesday, February 1 at 8:30 p.m.
- Date 17: Venezuela, as a local, on Thursday 24 or Friday 25 March at 8:30 p.m.
- Date 18: Ecuador, as a visitor, on Tuesday, March 29 at a time to be confirmed
It may interest you