Soccer changes hands. Up to five Spanish clubs from the three main national football categories have changed hands in 2022 after the Covid-1
Soccer changes hands. Up to five Spanish clubs from the three main national football categories have changed hands in 2022 after the Covid-19 storm, which impacted club accounts during the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 seasons. Three of these operations were of Mexican capital.
On June 21, the Mexican group Atlantis, led by José Luis Orante and which controls Cafetaros de Chiapas, became the largest shareholder of Club Deportivo, which had been in pre-bankruptcy since May. Until now, the club was owned by Joaquín Parra, currently in prison.
The Mexican group took over 60% of the entity’s capital and the lawyer Luis Díaz Ambrona became president of the entity. On his part, Orante became CEO and Leonardo Casanova, CEO. The other 40% of the club remained in the hands of the Spanish group Oliver.
The American group Blue Crow Sports, owned by Mexican businessman Jeff Luhnow, took over 99.1% of CD Leganés
Two days later, on June 23, CD Leganés also changed ownership. In this case, the american group Blue Crow Sports, owned by Mexican businessman Jeff Luhnow, took over 99.1% of the club. The director took over from Victoria Pavón, president of the club for the last fourteen years.
After the operation, the businessman, who is also the owner of Cancún FC of the Liga Expansión de México, assured that the entity’s strategy will include investment in sports and infrastructure.
In LaLiga SmartBank, Sporting de Gijón also changed hands and also did so with Mexican capital. On June 28, the Mexican group Orlegi took over 73% of the entity’s shares.
The club came to be chaired by Alejandro Irarragorri, owner of the Orlegi Group, who invested 43 million to become the majority shareholder of the club. Orlegi also owns Atlas, Santos Laguna and Tampico Madera of the Mexican League. Until June, Sporting was owned by the family of the late José Fernández and was chaired by his son, Javier Fernández.
On the other hand, the Carso Group, owned by Mexican businessman Carlos Slim, sold 51% of the shares of the Oviedo club to the Pachuca Group of Mexico eight years after becoming the team’s largest shareholder. The Carso Group acquired Real Oviedo in 2012 for a figure close to two million euros. At that time, the entity was in a complex situation due to the debts inherited from the previous managers of the club.
Jorge Mas acquired Real Zaragoza and took over 97.5% of the club
Also at the end of June, Real Zaragoza formalized its change of hands. The general meeting of shareholders of the Maño team ratified the capital increases for the takeover of the club by the American businessman Jorge Mas, as well as the appointment of the new board of directors of the entity, headed by Mas as president.
Jorge Mas came to control 97.5% of the club’s shares, after the board approved a capital increase of 14.6 million euros for compensation of credits, to which must be added a new injection of 6.4 million euros to assume immediate expenses.
The board approved the entry of the members who will accompany Mas on the board for the next six years: Gustavo Serpa, Mariano Aguilar López, Emilio Cruz Roldán and Laurence Cook. The managers have experience in other soccer teams, among which are Inter Miami, which he directs together with David Beckham (United States), Racing Club de Lens (France) and Millonarios FC (Colombia).
In addition to these operations, at the beginning of the year, the Lleida Esportiu de Primera Rfef also changed hands. Former player and businessman Lluis Pereira reached an agreement with the entity to continue with the club’s sports project. The management, until now, had been controlled by the brothers Albert and Jordi Esteve and came under the control of the former player, who stopped the execution of the eviction of the Camp d’Esports, which the Paeria plenary session, the Lleida City Council I was planning to pass.