Aug 25 (Reuters) - Two women who accused former American heavyweight world champion George Foreman of sexually abusing them in the 1970s have filed
Aug 25 (Reuters) – Two women who accused former American heavyweight world champion George Foreman of sexually abusing them in the 1970s have filed lawsuits in a Los Angeles court.
The women filed separate lawsuits Wednesday under the pseudonyms Gwen H. and Denise F. in Los Angeles County Superior Court. Foreman, 73, has denied the allegations since they were made public last month.
Both women, now in their 60s, say they met Foreman as children because their parents worked with the fighter.
Denise, a Los Angeles resident, accused Foreman of seducing her when she was 8 and having sex with her when she was 15, once in a San Francisco hotel room, according to her lawsuit.
Gwen, a resident of Nevada, said she met Foreman when she was 9 years old, and accused him of sexually abusing and raping her when she was 15 and 16, including in a Beverly Hills apartment. She said Foreman told her her father would lose her job as her adviser if she didn’t agree.
Foreman called the accusations false and baseless.
Foreman is referred to in the lawsuits as DOE 1, but is described as the professional boxer who defeated Joe Frazier in 1973 to become world heavyweight champion before losing the title to Muhammad Ali in 1974.
The lawsuits were brought in the wake of a California law that took effect in 2020 that temporarily voids the statute of limitations that had barred victims of childhood sexual abuse from filing civil cases. Both women are seeking a jury trial and an unspecified amount of damages.
(Reporting by Jonathan Allen in New York and Brendan O’Brien in Chicago; additional reporting by Nate Raymond. Editing in Spanish by Javier Leira)